Online Gambling in Poland
Online Polish gambling is a network of gambling sites providing bettors access to online sports betting and casino games. As a result, players can place bets and play games of chance using their computers or mobile devices. Moreover, all online casinos are regulated by the Polish government and require operators to obtain licenses according to the gambling laws.
Four types of gambling operate legally in Poland, one of which belongs to the state monopoly. Poland’s land-based and online gambling market is regulated by the law on gambling, which was adopted in November 2009. Its rules set strict rules and standards for gambling operators. Moreover, the laws in Poland differ from other EU countries. In 2016, the Polish Parliament amended the profile law about unlicensed casino brands on the market. The norms came into force in April 2017.
At the same time, the Office of the Ministry of Finance started a register of unlicensed sites based on the blacklist principle. In this case, special attention is paid to illegal sites targeted at Polish users. Also, more attention is paid to marketing tools using the Polish language for the interface.
Best online casinos in Poland
- Unique design
- Number of games
- Live chat
- Live chat
- VIP club
- Bonus program with bonus codes
- Cryptocurrency accepted
- Tournaments for players
- Number of bonuses
- Live chat
- Mobile versions
- Loyalty program
- Instant withdrawing
- Cryptocurrency allowed
- Many bonuses
- Bonus codes
- Amount of game providers
- Fast payouts
- Bonus offers
- Payment options
- Live chat
- Accept cryptocurrency
- Many bonus offers
- Live chat
- Weekly Cashback
- Amount of payment systems
- Live games
- Crypto games
- Welcome bonus offer
- Mobile casino
- Availability of a huge range of games
- Fully licensed platform
- 24/7 customer support
- VIP Club
Payment methods that accept Polish online casinos
I know that banking methods are very important for gamblers; that’s why I decided to devote a separate section of the review to this topic.
- Credit and debit cards: Every online casino that accepts Polish players allows them to use cards like Visa and Mastercard for deposits and withdrawals. As for me, it’s one of the most convenient and secure ways to make payments for online gaming.
- E-wallets: Players who want to play at Polish online casinos are able to use e-wallets like Skrill, Neosurf, Mifinity, eZeeWallet, etc. All money transactions between players and casinos are instant. Besides, they offer privacy and security, protecting players from any kind of fraud.
- Cryptocurrencies: All casinos on my list have cryptocurrency as a payment option. Users can make a bet or withdraw their winnings instantly. If the player has a crypto wallet, he can use it, or he can choose one of the currency exchange services.
Related: Online Casinos that Accept Skrill
Types of gambling are allowed in Poland
Before the amendment of the profile law, the only legal type of online gambling was sports betting. However, since 2017, the state-owned company Totalizator Sportowy has begun to offer some entertainment in the online casino format. The Treasury of Poland manages the legal entity.
Forms of gambling that are legal in Poland:
- Gambling. These include number games, cylinder games (roulette, etc.), dice games, cash bingo, bingo, TV, cash, and draws lotteries with natural prizes, advertising lotteries and premium lotteries.
- Online Betting. Includes sweepstakes system and bookmaker’s offices.
- Card games. Only three types: blackjack, poker, and baccarat.
- Slot machines. You can play free in one of our slot machines with the best odds.
All type of online casino games corresponds to a separate type of license.
Poker can only be played in land-based casinos with a license as part of tournaments. However, the 2017 amendments provide such a legal form of activity as the development of gambling games, particularly card games, where the user plays against other live players for a cash prize.
Nowadays, casinos without a Polish license can legally hold online tournaments for locals. The maximum winnings in such tournaments cannot exceed $500. We should add that the land-based sector includes casinos, bingo parlours, and retail outlets for sports betting.
Casinos in Poland
The gambling law limits the number of legal land-based casinos. One casino is allowed in each municipality with a population of up to 250,000. Another can be opened for the next 250,000 population. If you like to play bingo for money, it is allowed to open one hall for every 100 thousand inhabitants.
Let me share with you the rules for slot machine halls. The State Treasurer Sportowy runs all land-based games that don’t locate in licensed casinos. It can place from three to fifty slot machines in one hall.
Although the number of land-based casinos with licenses in Poland has not changed since 2018, I recommend choosing your first casino in Poland wisely.
Cities with licensed casinos:
- Marriott Hotel & Casino Warsaw (Warsaw).
- Casinos Poland (Poznan).
- The Hotel Plock & Casino (Płock).
- Casinos Poland (Wroclaw).
- Hotel Grand Sopot (Sopot).
- Neptune Orbis Hotel and Casino (Szczecin).
- Casino Poland (Gdynia).
- Hotel Dwor Kosciuszko (Krakow).
- Hilton Hotel (Warsaw).
Gambling advertising in Poland is prohibited and strictly regulated by law. Below you will find a list of regulatory rules that forbid to advertise casino games, card games, betting, and slot machine services in the following forms:
- direct advertising of gambling services;
- display of brands and other distinctive signs of game providers;
- displaying any information about where such games and how to participate in them;
- advertising of any services that use a likeness or image similar to that of the gambling games or their providers;
- public presentations of gambling games;
- handing out gambling-related items and products;
- the giving or selling of gambling chips or tickets in public places;
- any form of public encouragement to participate in gambling or betting, persuading people of its benefits, or encouraging people to enter a casino or betting outlet.
Online Casinos in Poland
The online gambling industry is legalised in Poland and is subject to a state monopoly: betting and lottery with special offers. The only legal online gambling provider is the betting company Totalizator Sportowy. Here is Joycasino’s review that is legal.
As mentioned above, the jurisdiction has a blacklist of platforms and providers that violate such a monopoly. The result of it is if a certain site gets blocked, the hosting must put a message on the main page that the site operates in Poland without a license and is currently under sanctions by the Ministry of Finance.
The offender has the right to appeal within 30 days of being included in the register. If not, the regulator may not notify the casino about the sanctions, and most entities will be unaware that they appear on the blacklist of providers.
If online casinos and telecommunication service providers are not cooperating, the fine is up to 58 thousand euros. At the end of 2020, there were 12,194 blocked domains in the registry.
According to statistics, casinos remain popular in Poland:
- Slotocash casino
- Joy casino
- Abo casino
- Desert night casino
Bookmaker’s offices in Poland
Along with the Totalizator, Sportowy law regulates the activities of private bookmakers. Any company can get a license to place sports betting on their website.
On the one hand, after the 2017 amendments, 14 brands received a bookmaker’s license. On the other hand, Unibet, bet365 and William Hill left the market. Some stopped activities on their initiative. Among the three biggest bookmaker brands in Poland in 2021 are STS Sportsbook, forBET and Totolotek. The turnover tax for such bookmakers is 12%.
Is gambling legal in Poland?
The answer is yes. In Poland, works a commission that issues licenses for gambling. Besides, the legal age to play is 18, except for lotteries.
Is sports gambling legal in Poland?
According to the law, the bookmaker has to buy the license. With the license, a bookmaker can offer to make bets on its website.
What is Poland's gambling tax?
According to The Ministry of Finance, they don’t have tax on gambling winnings, which means all money remains with the player. However, in this case, players must pay tax on personal income.
Are there casinos in Poland?
Of course. Players can choose land-based casinos in Warsaw, Poznan, Krakow, and Szczecin. Besides, online casinos: Joy, FairGo, Ozwin, and Bitstarz are also available and waiting for new players.
The high tax burden and strict regulation in the betting sector stimulate the growth of the grey sports betting sector. The above is confirmed by the data of the Supreme Audit Office of Poland (NIK), according to which, in 2019, 51% of the gambling market in the country were exactly offshore bookmakers, which the regulator has not been able to influence for two years. The agency has not yet published new data.
Thanks to the laws, the state gambling company’s revenues increased by 96.7% in 2020, and unlicensed casino revenues declined by 25.8 per cent over the same period.
In 2020, the gambling trade organisation, Polska Izba Gospodarcza Branży Rozrywkowej i Bukmacherskiej (PIGBRiB), asked the Ministry of Finance to reduce the tax burden on bookmakers to 10%. The Polish government ignored the appeal of business, which could lead to an even greater market withdrawal into the shadows.